Monday, May 16, 2011

The sickness has taken over. Again.

If I get sick again before the fall I'm going to lose my mind. I'm on an antibiotic for the SECOND TIME SINCE JANUARY. This is ridiculous.

Emmett started getting a cold about 3 weeks ago. It quickly went from a runny nose to a nasty cough, chest congestion and a slight fever. It didn't want to leave. He is starting to feel better, but this poor kid is sick all the time. I can recall 8 colds/flu since the first weekend in October. THAT'S TOO MANY FOR SUCH A LITTLE BOY!

I started getting a tickle in my throat the night before the Race for the Cure 5K. I ran it anyway and by Saturday night I was miserable. Justin was sick on Saturday as well, and Dade had started getting a little bit of a sore throat. Orson managed to evade it.

On Monday Justin called in and we layed around feeling sorry for ourselves, and trying to muster up the strength to take care of three kids while we're trying not to die.

On Tuesday Justin was better but I was getting worse. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with bronchitis, sinusitis and a double ear infection. Great. Just great.

I started a heavy duty antibiotic as well as a strong cough medicine and, almost a week later, there is some improvement in the cough, although it's not totally gone and I've got a constant headache from coughing so hard. I'll take that over how I was feeling last week...ANY DAY!

Now that we're all on the mend, Orson is sick. He was throwing up everything he ate and was coughing a lot so Justin took him in to the doctor...he has the same thing as Emmett. Bronchiolitis. He's been on a nebulizer the last few days and has responded really well. With the exception of a small cough and a slight runny nose, he's back to his normal, happy, sweet self.

Now that the weather has warmed up I'm hoping all the colds go away for a long time.


Emmett was sent to Cardiology at Primary Children's for his EKG on the 6th. He was scheduled for an echo but the chest X ray and EKG looked really good so there was no need for an echo-which is good because at this age, he'd need to be sedated and if you've ever had to sedate your child, you know how awful it is for them when they wake up. The PFO is still there but for now, isn't causing any problems. We go back in 6 months and if all is well at that point, we don't need to go back until he's 3. WHEW!!! 


Emmett and Orson are the same size now (to give you an idea of just how SMALL Emmett is...or how BIG Orson is!) Emmett has dipped just below 18 pounds and Orson is 15 pounds 2 ounces. Emmett is wearing 3-6 month shorts. Orson is wearing 6-9 month shorts. They are both wearing 9 month zipper jammies (although Emmett can fit into his 12 monthers now, too) 


It's amazing the lasting effects of having a preemie. We thought the battle was over when he left the NICU. It's a constant struggle to keep weight on that kid. It's always a battle to keep germs away (one that's proven to be impossible) and it's heartbreaking to see your 19 month old watch his big brother play and run around and see that he desperately wants to join him..but can't because he can't stand on his own yet. It's really unfair. 


We've decided to start physical therapy and early intervention, even though we're moving. Hopefully he'll start walking by the end of summer and start talking sooner. If we have to transfer it all to Salt Lake that won't be a problem...but the longer we wait, the harder it's going to be for him to catch up.

I have a lot of pictures from the 5K but they are all on the cell phone so I need to get them sent to Facebook and then put on the blog. It's not flattering by any means...but I was also sick and just got done running 3 miles.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help me keep my family safe from blog stalkers and psychos by not using our last name or discussing where we live/work. Thanks!