Monday, July 18, 2011

Being prepared

I have my 2nd cake class on Wednesday and this week we have to bring in a cake, torte, fill, and decorate. I thought I would practice using some things that are totally foreign to me (piping gel, for one!) and make a rough draft of what I'll be making on Wednesday.

I can't seem to get the icing super smooth and to cover up a couple of bare spots I just dabbed some icing on the edges. Bad idea. It looked better bare. I guess now I know :)

Oh, and I forgot to color the gills and fins green so they ended up the same color as the lips. Another mistake I won't duplicate in class this week. I also discovered that when it's hot and humid outside, icing melts pretty quick.

So the cake turned out delicious (Butter Golden cake with butterscotch pudding in the center) and the icing is incredible. Not too shabby for my first attempt at decorating a cake!

My husband calls it being an overachiever. I call it being prepared.

3 comments:

  1. I like your new hobby! Great cake. Tell your hub overachiever is why you're so awesome. I don't know how you do it all! Good luck with your class. I'm glad you are getting some me time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! It looks soo good!!
    -Brittnay

    ReplyDelete

Please help me keep my family safe from blog stalkers and psychos by not using our last name or discussing where we live/work. Thanks!