Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Update: Orson

At the insistence of our pediatrician, we took Orson to see a neurologist at Primary Childrens Medical Center.
While we sat in the waiting room I looked at Justin and said "If I have to stay here another night I'm going to be really mad".

Not that we've spent vast amounts of time at the Hospital. Just 3 nights, actually, but that's 3 nights more than any parent should have to sleep in a chair next to their sick child.

We saw the PA for the Neurologist and after examining Orson she told us that he's definitely NOT having seizures.

**WAIT!** I just realized I haven't shared why we went to the Neuro. is some back story.

Our chubba bubba, Orson has been passing out lately. Anytime he cries, for any reason, if we don't get to him in time he gets really worked up and passes out. He does the open-mouth silent scream and instead of the brain kicking in and signaling for him to take a breath, he just keeps going like that until he turns blue, his eyes roll to the back of his head and he goes limp. The unconsciousness lasts from 5-30 seconds. He's pale and lethargic for about 30-45 minutes after each episode. It's become increasingly difficult to get him to come to once he's lost consciousness, which is why we went to the Ped. in the first place. They did a CBC and his iron came back normal but his WBC count was really high. Our Ped wanted us to see a neurologist to rule out anything more serious.

The Neurologist sent us for an EKG and an iron panel. The EKG came back totally normal and the iron panel showed he is iron deficient. Now I just need to get in touch with the pediatrician to get a plan going. It should take about 6 months before the passing out should stop, so in the meantime we just have to make sure we get him to breathe before he gets to the point of unconsciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help me keep my family safe from blog stalkers and psychos by not using our last name or discussing where we live/work. Thanks!